Re: Spam Bots and Trolls

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:34:27 +0200
Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le mercredi 08 septembre 2010 à 21:22 +0100, Phill Whiteside a écrit :
> >
> > I know I've written about this before, but as Lubuntu gains more users
> > there will come a day when the IRC channel is a target of such
> > attacks.
> >
> > At present there are 3 people with OP status, we really could do with
> > a few more. Having been chatting to Andrew at the ubuntu-youth area,
> > he is putting together something for the spam-bots, which I attach. As
> > for dealing with
> > trolls, http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/What_is_a_troll%3F has a decent
> > definition of what they are etc.
> >
> > We may need another bot, called supybot for the spam bots, I would be
> > happy to liase with Andrew on #ubuntu-youth to see how they are
> > getting along with it before I'd propose its addition to the #lubuntu
> > channel. I'm also chatting to the people on #ubuntu-beginners about
> > their methods.
>
> Do other channels like #ubuntu-beginners have such spam problem ? I
> think maybe for now, only a few people with OP rights should be enough.
> If we have such problems in the future, we could plan to add a bot for
> this.

This used to be a serious problem all over freenode for a while. Some channels required people to use a registered nick to try to stem the problem, which it did.  The spambot is useful but, it is also worth letting the freenode staff know about the problems as well.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net