Re: UI in French?

At 16:56 22/09/2010, Quynh Vu Do wrote:
I am not sure for the file to be modified and I'm not sure you can do it for a live USB, only if your USB key has been installed with Lubuntu, as in a live USB, the file system is a special file that can't be modified (like if it were on a CD). If you have a live USB with a persistent file, then you may apply arguments for the boot
options which will be saved in the persistent file.

Thanks for the tip. Currently, I'm using the default ISO, with no persistence.

For those interested, you just need to update the following file in the USB key once Lubuntu has been installed one it (using PenDrive Universal Installer, in this case):

\\USBKey\syslinux\text.cfg

default live
label live
  menu label ^Run Lubuntu from this USB
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz
  # Appended locale for FR
append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz splash -- locale=fr_FR.UTF-8 keyb=fr klayout=fr

Anyway, if you have a persistent file on your USB key with enough space, you may install the French language and put French as a priority, select FR keyboard in the preferences, etc. then the following time you'll boot from this live USB it should remember your last settings and boot you to a French Desktop with French keyboard.

Good to know. BTW, if I manage to add persistence to the Lubuntu USB key, will "apt-get update/install/remove" stick to the key?

Alternatively, is there an up-to-date document that explains how to save an upgraded, running live Lubuntu into an ISO file, so that I can re-use it to flash a bunch of USB keys, and avoid install/remove each USB key before handing it out to users?

I know about this document, but it's for Ubuntu, and it's for 9.10:

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Thank you.