Re: Lubuntu on Intel and i586

On 10/15/2010 02:12 AM, Ben Coleman wrote:
> On 10/14/2010 6:48 PM, Benny Hult wrote:
>> Thu16:05 <xxxxxx> I have an older Compaq 500 Mhz 512MB RAM 80GB HDD.
>> I've installed Xubuntu but it seems to be using up too many resources.
>> Someone suggested I try Lubuntu. When I burned a CD and tried though, it
>> says I lack 'cmov' and to try another kernel. Any suggestions?
>

>> And we discussed with phillw about this issue and we were sure it was
>> becouse of 10.10 is i686 and his CPU is i585.
>
> Or his CPU might be i686, but lack cmov.
>
>> You can try with USB stick if 10.10 works, but I doubt.
>
> That's rather disappointing, as these are the kind of machines that
> Lubuntu would continue to make useful.  The alternative would be to have
> a separate repository for Lubuntu, compiled for i586 (or i486), which
> would kind of muddy the goal of having Lubuntu be an officially
> recognized part of Ubuntu.
>
> Sigh.  Wonder if anyone's doing anything with LXDE on Slackware?
>
> Ben

Wonder no more, http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
You can try out Salix, it's based on Slackware and kinda a fork from
Zenwalk. My wife is running Salix OS and I haven't heard any complaining
about it.

But it lacks with packages if you compare to Lubuntu.
Hope we can see you using Lubuntu still in the future, becouse the grass
ain't greener on the other side of the fence ;)