Re: cmov

Am 21.10.2010 12:38, schrieb PCMan:
> Is there any chance that we keep supporting these old machines?
> I don't see any reason to force the use of i686.
> Only the compiler flags need to be changed.
> All programs should be able to be compiled with i586.
> If supporting i586 is not allowed by Canonical, then I personally
> think we need a fork.

Thats somehow insane. The community isn't big enough to host a fork.
A fork would mean copy the whole ubuntu repo and recompile everything
for i586.
("Forking"/)Taking  the kernel package and add support for i586 and put
it in the ppa would be much more appropiate.
Or perhaps Canonical agrees to build special i586 enabled kernels that
lubuntu can use.
> A distro aimed to provide best desktop experience for old and limited
> machines doesn't run on old machines at all. This is really ironic,
> isn't it?

Yes that is kind of strange ;)