Re: cmov

On 21 October 2010 11:59, Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Am 21.10.2010 12:38, schrieb PCMan:
>> Is there any chance that we keep supporting these old machines?
>> I don't see any reason to force the use of i686.
>> Only the compiler flags need to be changed.
>> All programs should be able to be compiled with i586.
>> If supporting i586 is not allowed by Canonical, then I personally
>> think we need a fork.
>>
> Thats somehow insane. The community isn't big enough to host a fork.
> A fork would mean copy the whole ubuntu repo and recompile everything
> for i586.

Does it? How many packages are compiled for 686? Or is it only the kernel?

It need not be as big as a whole fork. CentOS is not "forked" off Red
Hat, it just recompiles RHEL's free source code.

> ("Forking"/)Taking  the kernel package and add support for i586 and put
> it in the ppa would be much more appropiate.

That's true.

> Or perhaps Canonical agrees to build special i586 enabled kernels that
> lubuntu can use.

Hmm. Maybe. Would they be willing, though?

>> A distro aimed to provide best desktop experience for old and limited
>> machines doesn't run on old machines at all. This is really ironic,
>> isn't it?
>>
> Yes that is kind of strange ;)

Someone is going to have to do this soon. CentOS 5 is dropping support
for 586 as well, which presumably means that Fedora already has. I
think only Debian and Slackware still support 486/586.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508