Re: Suggestion: Move these apps from "Preferences" to "System Tools"

Am Montag 07 Februar 2011, um 04:51:19 schrieb Jonathan Marsden:
> On 02/06/2011 06:29 PM, Kristian wrote:
> > Just put Lubuntu on a few machines. I can't see why the following
> > apps get listed as under "Preferences" in the menu - I think they
> > are definately "System Tools" and should be grouped as such. ...
>
> I agree.  Since these packages are not (as far as I know)
> Lubuntu-specific, I think we need to find out why the Lubuntu/LXDE menu
> system is placing them in "Preferences" when the GNOME menus put them
> under "System" -- for the exact same .desktop files.
>
> Does anyone know, or have a pointer to roughly where in the LXDE sources
> this decision (which menu to put apps into) is being done?  That would
> save me/us from wading through the code to try and find it.
>
> Jonathan

I think you are wong. If you take a look at the *.desktop file from synaptic
you will notice that in the categories line there is more than one category
given. If you compare TaskManager which can be found under the system menu and
synaptic you will see that they bove are in the system category but that
synaptic is also in the settings category. I think that the settings category
has a higher priority and thats the case why synaptic is put in the
preferences menu. And btw. its the same in ubuntu. (GNOME)
So I don't think we can fix that here. Maybe we could propose a lxde patched
*.desktop file (just like the synaptic-kde.desktop file) but that wouldn't be a
elegant solution. Everything else (i.e. messing with the menu generation code)
might brake the freedesktop.org compatibility.