Re: Idea/Suggestion to say goodbye to xcreensaver

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:23:36 -0300
Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lubuntu team:
>
> Since Lubuntu is targeted for low-spec computers, xcreensaver is not a good
> choice to use since it causes problems such as:
> - In my three (old) machines I must kill the xcreensaver daemon in order to
> be able to install the system.
> - The idea is to make a good-looking effect but with older video cards the
> screensaver hangs or it is terribly slow.
> In fact in those three machines, once Lubuntu is installed I just remove
> xcreensaver and let the power-manager doing the trick of shutting-off my
> screen. It saves me from another app-running and the effect wanted is done
> (and even better since it shutts the screen off, it doesn't blank it... so
> it's *more energy efficiency for Lubuntu*)
> Speaking about this to Julien he pointed me to a problem I haven't seen:
> "lock the screen".
> So, Googling a little i've found xtrlock, something very lightweigth to use
> that locks the screen until you type your user pass: everything is locked
> and your mouse pointer becomes a blue lock (but since the screen will be
> off, you won't tell ;)
> The way to implement this would be that as soon as the power-manager shuts
> off the screen it launches the xtrlock... but this would take Lubuntu devs
> to perform the task of coding it into the gnome-power-manager.
>
> I stop here, waiting for reactions and good-wellcoming :)

I think I've commented before about screen-savers.  I have never seen a justifiable reason for there existence apart from locking the machine if required..  They serve no other purpose, other than using energy,  like you, I either disable or remove them from my machines.  Your idea for locking the machine for those that require this function but, it's a bit late in the cycle for anything new to be implemented as feature freeze occurs at the end of the month.  I would suggest putting it on launchpad as a feature request.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net