Re: Ask yourself...

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:10:12 -0500
Tim Bernhard <ohiomoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What should Lubuntu do?
>
> I realize that being lightweight is a major focus for Lubuntu and I agree
> 100%.  But keep in mind that the average user will have expectations for
> their OS and that not everyone will use it only on older hardware (Lubuntu
> is too nice not to use it on modern hardware!)
>
> My main point is that Lubuntu should be for "everyone" and not just us
> "tweakers and geekers".  I want to be able to install it on anyone's
> computer and not have to worry about what it won't do for them.
>
> So my question is what dose the average user expect their OS to do "out of
> the box"?  Pretend you are putting it on someone's  machine.  Maybe your
> mother, or the neighbor who has never used anything other than Windows.
> What will they expect?

Don't pick on mothers.

They expect it to look and behave like Windows, especially if they have been to classes at the local school or college.

> Here's my list:
> - be efficient (most overlooked by most OS)
Define efficient.

> - handle music, video and Internet
OK, although DVD's can be a problem any most basic OS's.

> - find anything on my local network
Most people of the type you're talking about wouldn't no what a LAN is.

> - download and open files properly
I'd love that on any OS.

> - let me use it with external monitors/TV as a basic media player (HDMI out)
Had very few problems with desktop machines but, portables on the other hand.  They seem to be either plug 'n' play or a royal PITA.

> - have basic office apps (even though I don't use them)
OK.

> - allow basic personalization (LXDE's lack of menu editor is a bummer, but I
> don't fault anyone for that.)
Again the sort of user you're talking about rarely customises their desktop beyond changing the wallpaper.

--
Yorvyk