Re: Ask yourself...

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:10:12 -0500
> Tim Bernhard <ohiomoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > So my question is what dose the average user expect their OS to do "out
> of
> > the box"?  Pretend you are putting it on someone's  machine.  Maybe your
> > mother, or the neighbor who has never used anything other than Windows.
> > What will they expect?
> >
> Don't pick on mothers.

ha, ha..

> They expect it to look and behave like Windows, especially if they have
> been to classes at the local school or college.

Let's not get too carried away!  Ha, ha. But yeah they would expect Lubuntu
to do everything Windows does and complain if it doesn't.  But I switched my
mother-in-law over to Ubuntu a few years ago.  She got used to it and now
she likes it.  So let's not give up on these poor souls.

> > Here's my list:
> > - be efficient (most overlooked by most OS)
> Define efficient.

See my last reply.

> > - find anything on my local network
> Most people of the type you're talking about wouldn't no what a LAN is.

Yes, but they get people like you and I to set them up anyway and then we
have to show them how to use them.

> > - let me use it with external monitors/TV as a basic media player (HDMI
> out)
> Had very few problems with desktop machines but, portables on the other
> hand.  They seem to be either plug 'n' play or a royal PITA.

I can't figure out how to output sound to my TV...I might have a royal PITA
in store for me.  lol

> > - allow basic personalization (LXDE's lack of menu editor is a bummer,
> but I
> > don't fault anyone for that.)
> Again the sort of user you're talking about rarely customises their desktop
> beyond changing the wallpaper.

I agree.  Still hoping to be able to edit menu items in LXDE as you would in
Ubuntu.  Not a deal breaker though and I don't expect anything to happen
soon.  Just dreaming.