RES: Ask yourself...

[Quote]

What should Lubuntu do?

I realize that being lightweight is a major focus for Lubuntu and I agree
100%.  But keep in mind that the average user will have expectations for
their OS and that not everyone will use it only on older hardware (Lubuntu
is too nice not to use it on modern hardware!)

My main point is that Lubuntu should be for "everyone" and not just us
"tweakers and geekers".  I want to be able to install it on anyone's
computer and not have to worry about what it won't do for them.

So my question is what dose the average user expect their OS to do "out of
the box"?  Pretend you are putting it on someone's  machine.  Maybe your
mother, or the neighbor who has never used anything other than Windows.
What will they expect?

Here's my list:
- be efficient (most overlooked by most OS)
- handle music, video and Internet
- find anything on my local network
- download and open files properly
- let me use it with external monitors/TV as a basic media player (HDMI out)
- have basic office apps (even though I don't use them)
- allow basic personalization (LXDE's lack of menu editor is a bummer, but I
don't fault anyone for that.)

Lubuntu has come pretty close to meeting my expectations.  I've had to tweak
a little bit and I might still be missing a few things here and there, but
overall, I love it.  The one area it blows everything else away is with it's
efficiency.  It seems like that's the most overlooked item in all the other
Ubuntu variants I've used.

Tim
[/quote]

I agree but I am a very beginner user and I stopped using lubuntu due to
networks problems, I wasn't able to find my network places like I do in
windows or ubuntu. to a user like me, it is not acceptable have to write
codes to find the network or mount a pen drive every time I need. Those
things should work OFB. Is screen saver, wall paper and some personalization
realy important right now? There is many flavors of linux doing it. what I
want from lubuntu is a reliable, robust and fast OS. I don't want my OS
consuming my computer resources! Vista already does it. I guess to not have
screen saver to save energy sounds like an selling argument! it can be
turned into a good thing. you know what I mean??

If you want to know how a regular user feels like about lubuntu, ask me ! I
am one..heheh

Sorry about my lack of english..