Re: disk space need

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 21:56:11 +0300
Mikhail Maksimov <mcwillin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just finished trying to install Lubuntu Natty Alpha3 on a very small
> partition. The results are as follows:
>
>    - with 1800 MB, the installer fails with "not enough disk space"
>    - with 1900 MB, the installer reports success, but after rebooting it is
>    impossible to log in to the X environment: the screen blinks, and I'm
>    presented with the login screen once again. In a text-only terminal
>    (Ctrl+Alt+F1 works normally) I'm able to login, but further work is
>    impossible. "df -h" reports no free space at all.
>    - with 2000 MB, the installation and log in both succeed, but "df -h"
>    reports just 70M of free space, which is IMHO well below minimum required to
>    do anything substantial.
>
> Thus, I think 3 GB disk is probably the _practical_ minimum for a Lubuntu
> Natty system. Too bad it almost doubled since 10.04 :(
>
> Regards,
> Mikhail Maksimov
>
> PS The installer's disk editor uses "decimal bytes" so an "MB" in my report
> should be read as 1000000 bytes. If the disk is 2*(1024^3) bytes, you'll get
> some 70*(1000*1000) bytes more to work in Natty, provided the system has
> enough RAM to not use swap partition :(

Interesting.
That's about the figures I get.
If you are really short of space, the removal of a kernel and it's headers gains about 200MB of space.  The careful use of BleachBit <http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/> can gain another 300MB.  The removal of language packs you don't use is quite useful.

One area where Lubuntu has gained weight is the help documentation for Gnumeric and Sylpheed, as well as the Gnome language packs.  As these are usability features it's would be a bit silly not to install them by default but, I suppose they could be removed if not required.  I haven't tried this so not sure.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net