Testing Page updates (was: Re: Lubuntu Natty Beta 2 released )

On 04/21/2011 04:49 PM, Chris wrote:

> Are the known issues still the same?

I'm not sure, but the "All the known issues are mentioned in the
Announcement email." seems less than useful.  A bulleted list of the
issues in the current release, linking to specific LP bugs when they
exist, would be more useful in helping people know what they are getting
into when using a particular ISO, I think.

> And do the both Minimal CD's link the the beta 2 ISO's? It's not
> really clear to me, as [1] & [2] link to /current somewhere.

> [1] http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
> [2] http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/

The files under "current" are the latest (usually daily?) images
available.  For a specific release, replace "current" with "beta-2" or
whatever the release is tagged, so in this case:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-i386/beta-2/images/netboot/
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/installer-amd64/beta-2/images/netboot/

is probably what you want.

NOTE: There is one significant problem with your "generic" info on
releases: the count= parameter in the dd command used for manually
checking md5 checksums changes with each CD, it is the number of 2K ISO
clusters in the image (i.e it is the ISO image size in bytes, divided by
2048), so each time we get a new image of a different size, this number
changes.

This number does not seem to be being updated with new releases... I
think this is just an oversight?  Are you testing your edits after
making them, so you know your instructions actually work on the current
release ISO?  If not, I'd recommend you start doing so, to help catch
little accidental omissions like this.

You might want to consider reworking this information as a table with
something like

Release ISO, Release Torrent, MD5 Checksum, Size (Bytes), Size (2K
clusters), Announcement Email

columns, so we can easily retain info for each release, not just for the
very latest one?  If you put the latest release as the first row of the
table, it should be clear enough.  I was going to do something like this
when Beta 1 arrived, but I noticed you had already edited the page
(thanks!) so I left it to you :)

I think it can sometimes be important to keep older release ISOs (and a
collection of links to them) around, at a known location, so people can
"go back" to find out when exactly a new bug was introduced, for
example.  We seem to have lost that in recent edits.

One last thought: is the "PPA Management" section really appropriate now
we are no longer using PPAs for release management?  If not, let's
delete it, or at least move it to the bottom of the page.

Jonathan