Re: Proposal to use Claws Mail as default Email Client instead of Slypheed

On Mon, 09 May 2011 12:23:00 +0100
WiZ <wiz.irc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Claws Mail (http://www.claws-mail.org/ formerly Sylpheed-Claws) started as
> the bleeding-edge
> version of Sylpheed, in order to act as a testbed for new features for
> Sylpheed. Claws Mail then evolved into the stable extended version of
> Sylpheed, and is now an entity in its own right, mainly due to
> different goals and the fact that syncing both codebases doesn't happen
> anymore.
>
> Claws Mail has many extra features compared to Sylpheed and is more
> powerful, yet is just as fast, lightweight and stable.
>
> Justification:
>
> Similar resource usage as Slypheed
> Extendable with a number of 1st and 3rd party plugins available now
> (Slypheed is also begining to develop support for plugins but Claws has
> mature support with plugins available now!)
> Plugins available with support for Calendar functions and syncing with
> webcal servers like google calendar (May be able to provide
> functionality that could allow removal of Osmo)

It was already discussed here, you can look at the archive of the list for details.
Last time I checked, I found Sylpheed better to use (I reported usability issues I had with Claw, but upstream doesn't seems to think it's a real problem). Sylpheed have also multi-threading (not freezing the GUI), and easy gmail configuration. Finally, the 2 programs are good, there is just no "killer feature", or no big benefit (CPU, RAM ...) that encourage us to switch. In this case, it's better to keep the one already in place (less work to do).

Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx>