Re: IRC Client

+1 for dropping XChat.
The purpose of default applications are to provide a sane and
easy-to-use default for common users.
Learning how to use two different applications won't be easier than
learning one.
So using pidging for all protocols is supports do makes sense. Users
can learn once and use it for everything.
Power users who requires advanced scripting support can always install
their powerful favorites manually.
In the case of media player, gnome mplayer apparently has a bad music player UI.
That's why we need a separate music player. Otherwise mplayer works just fine.
For me, my favorite editor is geany, not leafpad.
However I won't ship a programmer's editor as a default text editor
for common users.
Having xchat specifically for irc instead of pidgin won't make that
much differences for common users, IMHO.
So only including pidgin might be better in this case.