Re: Bad news for old Intel video

i8xx is actually in a pretty good state right now. In Ubuntu since Maverick,
the X server is running the fbdev driver, and all (I think) of the stability
problems are fixed, but at a noticeable performance degradation.

Upstream, a fix has been released since the 2.6.38-rc7 kernel which seems to
make the -intel driver stable for many people, at least with i855 and later
(i835 and i845 are still a little funky, but I've heard that's because the
cards themselves are just strangely designed). It's ironic actually --
Ubuntu dropped support for i8xx at the exact time that upstream started
making real progress with the bugs in those cards.

In short, I don't see a reason why this should actually affect users of
these cards. The only real potential problem I see is when Wayland starts
being added.

-Steven