Re: [Lxde-list] About GTK2 -> GTK3 Migration, a critical issue

Le Tuesday 16 August 2011 à 11:02 +0200, Andrea Florio a écrit :
> Seriously? why don't contribute the the entire project?
Because we have others priorities. Firstly, finishing transition that
are in progress and unfinished (ex: gpicview). It's just a note, we have
nobody planning to work on this. So, if someone want to try, he is free
to go. Just don't wait for a short term solution from us.

> i guess that
> sentences like this one are making you loose some users.. that's a
> piece of an email i received recently from a former lubuntu user:
>
> "I got fed up with that Ubuntu way of treading on everything and
> looking only to its own interests that the Lubuntu developer started
> to show after his distribution received support from Canonical"
Just to make it clear for everyone. All people working directly on
Lubuntu are doing it for free, during their free time. Having support
from Canonical doesn't mean we have money or ressources, except building
ISO for Ubuntu build system. We working on some parts because we prefer
to work on them, that's it.

> and also
>
> "I was referring to the way Julien Lavergne started uploading broken
> code to the git repo and then just ignored the fixes."
Yes, I broke some trunk repo sometimes, and I'm sorry about it.
Probably, it was not the good way to do thing. But when you are waiting
6 months or more for review of patches from Lubuntu, posting them on the
bugtracker, committed them to a separate branch, and nobody care about
them ... so yes, committed them to trunk was the only way to have
feedbacks.

> I believed we were working on a common project that is LXDE, and them,
> just customizing it to make it fit our distro specific needs.. but any
> way, that's not the place for such an argument.
Agree, that's why I try to commit every improvement / fixes done in
Lubuntu to LXDE directly. I don't want to maintain patches in Lubuntu
when it's not strictly necessary.

> > Andrea, do you try to use GTK3 components on openSUSE ? For me, I
> had some improvements on CPU usage using lxtask GTK3, vs the GTK2
> version. I wonder if you saw similar behavior on openSUSE ?
> >

> well, i actually tested it to check if there was any crash or issues,
> but i didn't pay much attention on that. I can try to give it a deeper
> look next time. What i actually saw, is that seems all gtk3
> applications doesn't get a gtk3 theme, but maybe is just my
> installation.

Ok thanks, don't hesitate to share good (or bad) surprises.