Re: [Lxde-list] About future development, the use of dbus and C++

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Christoph Wickert <
christoph.wickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 18.10.2011, 13:00 +0800 schrieb PCMan:
> >
> > So actually I'm considering the possibility of using C++ in PCManFM.
> > Implement some new features with C++ will be much easier than doing it
> > with pure C.
> > With C++, the development can be more rapid
>
> Hi,
>
> frankly speaking I think one of the things that LXDE needs most for
> rapid development is consistency. We cannot rewrite everything all time,
> we need to finish and release it at some point. This being said I'd like
> to strongly encourage you to not change anything but finish PCManFM 1.0
> first. It is a great program and deserves a release.

When developing smaller applications, the problems of C/GObject is not that
apparent.
However, when the scale of the whole program becomes larger and larger, it
soon becomes very painful for developers to work with.
For long-term development, "more productive development tools"are absolutely
needed.
Doing something in C/GObject may take hours, but it could be finished in
minutes with C++ or others.
C/GObject thing is hard to write, hard to read, hard to maintain, and hard
to debug.
It requires the programmers do the job of C++ compilers manually in C
language.
Developing with it is quite slow, time-consuming, and error-prone. It's just
a pain to work with.
For limited man power, a more productive development tool, if used
correctly, can help a lot.
I'll do some experiment with Vala first since it's totally compatible with
GObject.
If it works well, I'll consider using C++ since it can do things in a real
OO way, and handles very low level things as well.

> > and we can utilize many nice existing libs.
> Such as?

Boost, google-url, ... and all other C libs are still available as well.
Besides, some code in KDE code base can be used if not bound to Qt.