Re: [12.04] Firefox instead of Chromium?

> I'm not very fan of a change unless we have a strong consensus for another
> browser. But, this is my opinion :
> - We should only consider Chromium or Firefox, because they have a strong
> upstream and are well maintained. Browser is a very important part of a
> system, and we really don't have time to do maintenance on it. Adopting
> Midori for example, means we have to do the maintenance on Ubuntu (triage
> bugs, testing, maybe some packaging ...).
> - Benchmark are needed, because just saying it's light, doesn't mean it's
> always light. Also, the memory usage for Chromium is special, because it
> shares memory (there is an article from a dev of Chromium somewhere in the
> Web which explain it).
> - Finally, it needs to be light on old hardware. Remember, it's the main
> target for Lubuntu. So far, Chromium seems better on this type of machine.
>
> So far, I don't see advantages to switch to Firefox. Of course, if the
> benchmarks show a real difference, I may reconsider my opinion.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

I DO AGREE with each and every word, period :)

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not very fan of a change unless we have a strong consensus for another
> browser. But, this is my opinion :
> - We should only consider Chromium or Firefox, because they have a strong
> upstream and are well maintained. Browser is a very important part of a
> system, and we really don't have time to do maintenance on it. Adopting
> Midori for example, means we have to do the maintenance on Ubuntu (triage
> bugs, testing, maybe some packaging ...).
> - Benchmark are needed, because just saying it's light, doesn't mean it's
> always light. Also, the memory usage for Chromium is special, because it
> shares memory (there is an article from a dev of Chromium somewhere in the
> Web which explain it).
> - Finally, it needs to be light on old hardware. Remember, it's the main
> target for Lubuntu. So far, Chromium seems better on this type of machine.
>
> So far, I don't see advantages to switch to Firefox. Of course, if the
> benchmarks show a real difference, I may reconsider my opinion.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne
>
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:47:26 +0100
> "A. Andjelkovic" <andjelkovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to bring up the discussion about replacing Chromium with Firefox
> > in 12.04.
> > I'm not sure if this was discussed on UDS, but in my opinion, this is
> worth
> > looking into.
> >
> > Firefox has reduced it's memory usage dramatically, and I'm currently
> > trying out Firefox 7 as a replacement.
> > I do not have detailed memory benchmarks (yet!), but I will definitely do
> > some benchmarks in the near future.
> > However, I'm pretty sure Firefox has better (lower) memory usage when
> > having several tabs open (more than 3).
> >
> > Other reasons to switch:
> > GTK3
> > Better desktop integration (Chromium themeing is limited and hard to
> > include as default)
> >
> > What do you guys think?
>

> --
> Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx>

Best Regards,

*A.J
amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Blog <http://amjjawad.wordpress.com> | My Wiki
Page<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>| My
Launchpad <https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> | My Ubuntu Forum
Profile<http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*~ My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words || ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short** ~ *