Unresolved overheat issue blocks development

Hi list,
I have a long-standing unresolved issue on my Thinkpad R60 laptop.
My Lubuntu gets overheat and performs shutdown automatically frequently.
This happens since ubuntu 10.10 or 10.04 and I never suffered from this
issue.
Recently, the overheat problem became more and more severe and I'm not able
to use Ubuntu sometimes.
Switching to Windows xp and Vista fixed this problem. The temperature was
quite low under Windows.
I did some google search and found that it's a notorious problem of ubuntu.
Unfortunately, I did not find any good solution to this.
When I compile programs and browse web pages/documentations at the same
time,
the load of my laptop gets high and it becomes overheated easily.
So recently I mainly use Windows xp.
Please help if anyone has the right solution for this.
Otherwise I have difficulty keep using Lubuntu and do programming under
Linux.

Thanks

Follow ups