Re: Unresolved overheat issue blocks development

Hello PCMan,

We had two HP Laptops at home, both are Pavilion DV6 (Windows 7) and DV5
(Ubuntu 10.04). The overheating problem was there for both except DV6 was
working while DV5 was shutting down even though we are using two cooling
fans.

I called HP and we managed to fix the problem on DV6 with a BIOS Update. As
for DV5 one, they couldn't help because it has Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) and I
have no clue how to update the BIOS while on Linux.

As far as I know, BIOS is controlling the Fan Speed and if there is no
hardware failure (fan is still working) then, as in my case, the BIOS
update will fix that.

Just a thought but in your case, it might be something else. Check the fan
and see if it's working. Try to buy a cooling fan if you don't have one
already.

Hope that helps!

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM, PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi list,
> I have a long-standing unresolved issue on my Thinkpad R60 laptop.
> My Lubuntu gets overheat and performs shutdown automatically frequently.
> This happens since ubuntu 10.10 or 10.04 and I never suffered from this
> issue.
> Recently, the overheat problem became more and more severe and I'm not
> able to use Ubuntu sometimes.
> Switching to Windows xp and Vista fixed this problem. The temperature was
> quite low under Windows.
> I did some google search and found that it's a notorious problem of ubuntu.
> Unfortunately, I did not find any good solution to this.
> When I compile programs and browse web pages/documentations at the same
> time,
> the load of my laptop gets high and it becomes overheated easily.
> So recently I mainly use Windows xp.
> Please help if anyone has the right solution for this.
> Otherwise I have difficulty keep using Lubuntu and do programming under
> Linux.
>
> Thanks

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*