Re: PCManFM - Quick Questions

Forgot to cc to the list, here it is now :P

Hi :)

On Saturday 24 December 2011 04:12 PM, amjjawad HOOHAA wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 1- How to run PCManFM from Terminal in order to find out what is
> going on in case there is a strange behavior? typing "pcmanfm" will
> result to Run PCManFM and you get the yourname@machine-name:~$
> again so you don't really see anything in the terminal
> (LXTerminal).

PCManFM runs as a daemon and manages your desktop, so when you run it
from a terminal it will simply open the PCManFM file manager window
instead of starting a new session. You will need to 'killall pcmanfm'
and then run 'pcmanfm --desktop --profile=lubuntu'

> 2- How to replace PCManFM with another File Manager?

I'm not sure, but you will need to stop pcmanfm to run at login and
run the desired file manager (eg: nautilus).
There's also a setting in lxpanel under the Advanced tab that lets you
choose your preferred file manager.

> 3- What exactly are the functions/features that PCManFM offers?
> what it can NOT offer?

The main thing that I like about PCManFM is that it supports tabs and
the thing I miss the most is the thumbnails of video files and other
files like pdf etc. I'm working on a patch for thumbnail generation in
pcmanfm but I'm busy with exams till the 4th so I'll submit it after that.

> 4- What is the BEST way to report a bug for PCManFM? any unusual
> behavior could be a bug, right?

Sourceforge bug tracker [1] would be the best place I believe.

> 5- Any plugins or extra stuff that one can add to PCManFM?

I don't think PCManFM has plugins support. It would be nice if it
would support them though.

[1] - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=156956&atid=801864