From: "PCMan" <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Klaus Knopper" <lxde@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Alexis Lopez Zubieta" <azubieta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "lxde-list" <Lxde-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "lubuntu-desktop" <lubuntu-desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:58:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Lxde-list] About lxpanel2

If your "object oriented" refers to the programming language, I'm using Vala now, which is a OO language built on top of GObject/C runtime. The language itself is OO. This, however, does not mean that the program written in it will be OO.
I'm not a fan of "making everything an object" approach. No single programming style is best for all cases.
Using too much OO stuff in GObject will create extra overhead as its type system is all created at runtime.
Type-casting and virtual function calls sometimes requires looking up in tables. Signal emission in GObject/C
is also very inefficient, too. So basically, I'd avoid "unnecessary" OO whenever possible.

If the term "object oriented" here refers to making everything on the desktop an object, that's a totally different thing and is not related to language used.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Klaus Knopper < lxde@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Hi PCMan,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 03:21:02PM +0800, PCMan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Alexis Lopez Zubieta

> <[1] azubieta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
>
> I have a question about lxpanel2.
> Are you planing to make it using an object oriented approach?
>
> What do you mean by object oriented approach?
> I don't understand what you mean. Any examples?

I THINK he means whether or not you will be using an object oriented
programming model and programming language (or interpreter on the
runtime or macro level), which has certain advantages (everything like
programs, icons, files, windows etc. are objects where all the code
needed to manage the object is included in the objects class, and not
spread across different places in the code), and disadvantages (well,
object oriented code tends to get voluminous and slow, maybe even buggy,
at least that is the common perception).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

Gnome and KDE both use object oriented models for their desktops, where
KDE also uses an object oriented language, while GNOME works more with
procedural languages (C) and its own object management code.

Btw, for LXDE, I would, independent of that question, opt for using
anything that is stable, small (in the total resources footprint) and
fast, even if it means less features. I like C, even that it means you
have to be extra careful about memory management and pointer
arithmetics.

One of the "major features" of LXDE for me was always that it needs less
than 5 seconds to start up all necessary components (lxpanel, pcmanfm,
window manager), instead of initializing a lot of services before you
can do actual work on the desktop. I hope that the new versions of
lxpanel and pcmanfm will still be similarly efficient, no matter which
model or toolkit you will use.

Regards
-Klaus

--

University of Informatic Sciences (UCI) http://www.uci.cu
Nova Light Development Team http://www.nova.cu

Fin a la injusticia, LIBERTAD AHORA A NUESTROS CINCO COMPATRIOTAS QUE SE ENCUENTRAN INJUSTAMENTE EN PRISIONES DE LOS EEUU!
http://www.antiterroristas.cu
http://justiciaparaloscinco.wordpress.com