Re: Fw: Re: abiword revert script

Lance,

On 07/14/2012 04:51 AM, Lance wrote:

> Just realized that this didn't go to the whole Lubuntu qa list and
> others may have valuable input.

It is a sign of how busy I am that I failed to send it there :)

> Regarding your existing bash script; it's fine but there's probably
> no need to start with updating, upgrading and running "-f install" at the
> beginning. I included that as a "sanity check" of sorts.

> The same is true about updating and running "-f install" at the end,
> just another sanity check ;^)

I thought so, but decided that since I wasn't testing it at all (!), it
was safer to make the script do exactly what you said in the post; feel
free to amend it in whatever ways make it more useful/easier/etc.

> First of all purge remains the same, but I'm wondering if I should
> wild-card any of the packages? I'd remind you that I'm intent on
> making this work with Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu ;^)

That shouldn't be necessary since versions will be the same across all
flavours for 12.04; you'd need to look at wildcarded names/versions if
you wanted it to work for Quantal as well as Precise, I'd think.

> I had to ask for some help regarding "apt-get -c":
>
> http://lists.debian.org/deity/2005/05/msg00236.html

Ah, OK!  That's what I get for not testing... at least I am not the only
one making that mistake after reading man apt-get :)

> sudo apt-get -o Item::Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list.oneiric update
>
> So far, so good ;^)
>
> But I still get Precise packages trying this:
>
> sudo apt-get -o Item::Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list.oneiric install abiword

Did you first do an update:

  sudo apt-get -0
Item::Dir::Etc::SourceList=/etc/apt/sources.list.oneiric update

No time to test this now, off to a local Linux User Group Meeting :)

> OTOH I PM'ed Eliah Kagan about this PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~degeneracypressure/+archive/abiword

Looks sane at first glance.  I was going to rebuild the Oneiric package
for Precise in my own PPA but perhaps there's no need, which is good
since this weekend is very packed with activities for me already.

Jonathan