Re: LXDE configuration files

On 07/28/2012 07:25 AM, Lars Noodén wrote:

> I notice that there appear to be two configuration files for LXDE:
>
> 	/etc/xdg/lubuntu/lxdm/lxdm.conf
> 	/etc/lxdm/default.conf
>
> Of the two, the latter seems to be ignored.  Is there a reason for
> having it this way?

The variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS specifies where config files are looked
for, and in what order.  In my 12.04 VM it is set to

  /etc/xdg/lubuntu:/etc/xdg-Lubuntu:/etc/xdg

so the idea is that the lubuntu specific config files can take
precedence over any default LDXE/LXDM config files which are supplied by
the lx* packages themselves.  Those may be more suited for Debian than
for Lubuntu.

Why we have lxdm stuff around at all any more by default in 12.04 is a
separate issue -- I suspect the answer is mostly that we've not removed
it from some of our packages yet.  More specifically, the file

  /etc/xdg/lubuntu/lxdm/lxdm.conf

is installed by lubuntu-default-settings.  Myabe it is there "just in
case" someone decides to use lxdm instead of lightdm?

BTW, why are we discussing this on lubuntu-qa and not lubuntu-users??
Is it really a QA issue?

Jonathan