Re: Adding PPC support to the web site

On 07/28/2012 12:45 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> can this be done? also including the amd64-Mac edition. PPC is now
> reliant on lubuntu for releases.

Wasn't there *huge* fuss about keeping download pages ultra-simple and
easy to use for total newcomers, recently?  Doesn't this change add
complexity, which might in theory cause a newcomer to be more likely
to pick the wrong image to download?

If so, how can the needs of "rare" PPC and Mac users be balanced with
the needs of newbie i386/amd64 PC users?

Maybe we could have exactly 3 links:

 * 32bit PC (i386)
 * 64bit PC (amd84)
 * other systems (PPC, ARM, Mac i386, Mac amd64)

so making it less likely the "other systems" one will confuse newbies,
yet making it clear that such images do exist, and clicking on it can
lead to a page providing specif links to each of them?

Note: I'm not necessarily in favour of the "our web presence needs to
be aimed at total newcomers who are not willing to learn anything"
approach -- but I *don't* want another big round of "discussion" about
this on lubuntu-users to flare up because a change like this is made
without thinking through its implications carefully and thoroughly first.

Again I want to ask: why is this a QA issue?

Jonathan