Booting Intel Mac from an external USB drive

Gents, a question.

For testing the Lubuntu AMD64+Mac install, what is the preferred configuration for an Intel Mac? An early 2008 MacBook running OS X 10.7.3

My MacBook currently has a dual boot setup with Windows 8 Pre-Release and OS X Lion. Not wanting to disturb that, I have been attempting - since well before I met you guys - to install Ubuntu on an external USB hard drive. I have tried using boot managers such as rEFIt, reFIND, without success. The external drive shows up as a Linux boot option, but when selected ends up booting Windows via it's MBR.

There are many articles on the net on this topic. Tried various suggested methods, but no joy. I gather Bootcamp tends to get in the way, and some articles recommend not using it.

Before I do anything rash, like removing my existing setup completely and giving Lubuntu the whole place to itself, I thought I'd see what comments you might have.

Cheers
Ron Mitchell
--
Ron Mitchell <rm2892@xxxxxxxxx>