Re: ISO Testing Cadence Week

Only part of this has to do with Lubuntu specifically so apologies to Phill and the rest of the Lubuntu QA team, but the lions share - mostly ubiquity stuff - effects us too. I started iso/upgrade testing with Ubuntu so I feel I must carry through with some ongoing Ubuntu testing, and there will be times that it may be necessary to compare how casper and/or ubiquity perform with the various flavors of *buntu in general ;^)

This morning I saw something in the Ubuntu changelogs that peeked my interest so I spun a new disc (Ubuntu QQ i386-live 20120809.1) and gave it a sweet test drive with an existing Windows and PP Edubuntu install. When I chose install I was offered the option to "upgrade" 12.04 to 12.10 and I chose that option. It worked (and has in my experience always worked) quite well :^)

That's one of the new options offered by ubiquity since it was majorly upgraded in Maverick. Certainly there were bugs (one quite serious), and only Colin Watson would know what's going to change in the near future, but there is no new documentation regarding that new upgrade option :^(

More specific to iso-testing we've never adjusted the iso-testing test-cases to address the change. We still offer only manual partitioning, entire disc, and auto-resize. But ubiquity now offers much more than that. To be fair even prior to the change we never addressed "use largest continuous free space" in our test cases but with Lucid approaching EOL that's not an issue.

I do however think we should at some point update the iso-testing cases to reflect the new options. Evan Dandrea and Colin Watson should be invaluable in that regard, but I must say that Evan screwed up big time eliminating the "use largest continuous free space" option. Currently you can only tell what's going to happen in that regard by whether the lower right hand button says "continue" or "install".

But ultimately there are installation/upgrade options available that are NOT even being offered as test cases. That can NOT be portrayed as good in any way, shape, or form from a QA perspective. I helped write ISO-9000 specs for a multi-national company once so I'm not clueless - just dain bramaged, and slow now :^(

Now that my rant about ubiquity test-cases is out of the way you can take a breath and prepare for my super dumb question ;^)

I just don't understand the purpose of cadence testing. I missed Alpha 3 testing prior to July 26th due to health issues but according to my calendar the next Lubuntu is QQ Beta1 due on Sept 6th. Is that correct?

If so what is the purpose of "cadence testing" at this point in the cycle?

As previously mentioned I feel an absolute duty to still perform some Ubuntu testing on top of my Lubuntu testing and I know that Ubuntu hits 12.04.1 on Aug 23rd so I've tried to set aside the week of the 20th ;^)

Even though Lubuntu will not release a 12.04.1 iso some changes in the Ubuntu 12.04.1 repos could effect Lubuntu, specifically Abiword ;^)

How many brains have I fried besides my own?

Lance

PS: I feel much better with more oxygen getting to my brain :^)

PPS: I just hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the nether regions.