Re: test case - Live disk with persistence.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Ron Mitchell <rm2892@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Have just submitted test results for Lubuntu AMD64+Mac build of Aug 21
> 2012. (Live disk)  The first two parts were a pass, but the third - run live
> disk with persistence - I've marked as "in progress". Not sure that I'm
> doing it correctly.
>
> The test case procedures make reference to use of Firefox to browse
> several pages, then a restart in persistent mode, browsing again, and
> another restart in persistent mode. Lubuntu doesn't come with Firefox. So I
> tried to do it with Chromium.  Not getting the expected result in that there
> is no record of pages browsed in the previous session.
>
> Is the USB stick with casper-rw on it supposed to be mounted
> automatically? In my case it does not get mounted unless, after rebooting
> the live disk, I physically remove the USB stick and re-insert it. Then the
> partition shows up as casper-rw.
>
> Just for info of all, I've spent some time here clearing off my MacBook so
> that the internal hard drive is now available for Lubuntu testing. Same with
> the PPC eMAC. Also have recently acquired an older Intel Celeron box, which
> I intend to used for WUBI testing. Still trying to grope my way through the
> reporting system, and I'm not certain that I'm doing any of it right at this
> point. Would be interested in knowing if my test reports of this afternoon
> got through. They appear to have been accepted.
>
> Haven't been to communicative over the past week.... took some time to get
> my various computers re-organized without losing anything critical. Think
> I'm now ready to help, but I must admit the learning curve is steeper that
> I'd thought it would be.
>
> Cheers
> Ron Mitchell
>

> --
> Ron Mitchell <rm2892@xxxxxxxxx>

I saw that you were doing the tests today and I think you are doing
really well.

When you use Chromium assign a favorite say maybe Qa Tracker.  If when
you reboot the USB and you still have the favorite marked then
persistence is working or add a file to a folder if it is there you
have it working. I have to install b43-firmware for wifi on my Dell
laptop on first boot but after I get it installed it is persistent on
reboot of the USB.  That said I have never got persistence on my
PowerBook USBs.

How did you build/write your USB with persistence.  In my opinion if
you are able to get a live session the test passed...  If you used the
same USB to make the hardware installs it is workable.  I wish I could
help with more persistent answers but I really only get persistent
USBs on PC boxes for now.  Lars may have more info on the amd64+MAC
boxes.

Having both the amd64+MAC and Powerpc boxes is a great need in the
Lubuntu/Ubuntu group.

Here is a small tip:  when you are doing hardware installs always use
test for user name and password... it will ask you if you are sure you
want to use short password just continue.. you do if you are going to
over write it later.. or need to file a security related bug.. so test
works well..

Ron you are doing great and we sure need your testing hardware.. Just
keep plugging away and never worry about asking questions..  somebody
on here has an answer to nearly every question..

Greg nm_geo