Machine fails to restart after install

I have an i386 that won't shutdown or restart properly.  During the
installation, Ubiquity says the installation is completed and is ready
to restart, but after going through some of the process the machine
hangs.  The same thing happens once the machine is booted and I try to
either reboot or shutdown.  The only method that works is to press the
power button, but instead of restarting or powering down with software,
it does a hard, instantaneous power off.

What kind of information do I need to collect for a bug report on this?

Regards,
/Lars