Fwd: guided upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.

[typing error: of course it should be ... compared to old 10.04 ... :

3. Unity as well as gnome-shell are much slower and need more memory
than before, so it makes the computer slow compared to old 10.04. I'm
talking about computers with (2 and 4) CPUs and (2 and 4 GB) RAM.]
-----
I can confirm that

1. I'm still making progress, but I'm not ready to make 12.04 LTS to my
main OS. 'The workhorse' is still 10.04 LTS.

- I had some problems with screenlets, that I fixed with direct calling
of the python command lines (via a small shellscript).

- VirtualBox in that fresh install was in 64-bit 12.04 Ubuntu. And it
was the version from the repos without USB.

* Has anybody managed to get USB running in VirtualBox in 12.04? *
* or in 12.10? *

- There have been several crashes, that I have tried to report (probably
only known bugs).

2. I found that some tweaking tools are better developed in gnome-shell
than in Unity. Otherwise I must say that Unity looks nice nowadays, but
it is still a little awkward for me.

3. Unity as well as gnome-shell are much slower and need more memory
than before, so it makes the computer slow compared to old 10.04. I'm
talking about computers with (2 and 4) CPUs and (2 and 4 GB) RAM.

4. I installed lubuntu-desktop and it makes a real difference,
particularly at login and when playing video. The 4,4 computer can play
HD video 1920x1080-50p with Lubuntu :-)