Re: No alsamixer in Lubuntu PowerPC, no sound

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure it's the exact same symptoms. Some things for your to do list:
1. MOST IMPORTANT: whatever you do, please put this information and any other information in the bug report [1] itself.
2. Does alsamixer load ok if you don't use the -a basic switch?
3. What does lspci | grep -ie audio -ie sound give you?
4. Check to see if you have a sound icon.

Also to Arild: I forgot about lshw. You should try:
sudo lshw | grep -ie sound -ie audio -ie multimedia
The only line I get back relates to the SuperDrive.

AFAIK for PPC lshw only shows the OpenFirmware device tree so that kind of suggests that if it's not in lshw the computer's firmware (read: BIOS) doesn't recognize the device, regardless of the operating system. That's— shocking, but it may be a limitation of lshw, too (which does have its limitations). It certainly doesn't display all OF devices e.g.:
/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/gpio@50/linein-detect@c (why would it?)

Indeed I do find:
/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/i2s@0/i2s-a@10000/sound
which is the most likely package, I guess, but when I dev my way to the sound node I get:
0 > .properties
name			pseudo-sound
 ok
0 > words
close		close	ok
which is pretty strange. I²S, assuming that's what it is (I can't find just about any info on G4 audio), is only an audio bus, so that may be why. And yet, I don't find a more sensible node.

I think what we need to do is try a live CD we know works, i.e. from 12.04. Again, I can't emphasize enough the importance of testing thoroughly and reporting the results to the bug report [1].

wxl

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-utils/+bug/1060452