Re: PPC

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:54:42 +0200
Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le 10/16/2012 11:26 PM, Phill Whiteside a écrit :

> > What is required is an honest 'pass' for the ppc versions, even with a
> > grey bug. If at least one of the video cards can be gotten to pass,
> > then a release can be made and continued bug hunting can then go on in
> > the less stressful nature of having missed 2 mile stones whilst you
> > good people actually found the issues out.

last night i passed 2/3 tests. the third (guided resize) i originally passed but i later deleted it because i realized in my sleep deprivation i didn't follow the test procedure correctly (i failed to do the subtests). unfortunately, i didn't have the original iso to re-test.

today lars passed 2/3 tests. he failed the guided resize. i ran that one myself, this time using the correct procedure, and it passed fine. the only grey bug i had that wasn't the known issue with nVidia was with the calculations on the resizing. no big deal, says balloons, but worth noting.

that being said, should we call that an honest pass? what else can i do to help?

> > So, please test, try and get it to work, update both PPCFAQ [1] and
> > L-PPCFAQ [2] so that there is a method for the 'die hard,
> > cantancerous, bloody minded "it's not going to beat me" people' to
> > follow. Please do note that the L-PPCFAQ[2] should just be a short
> > area pointing people to the 'main' area [1]

> Do we have a list of bug reports about the PPC issues, with a list of
> workaround ? We need to put them on the release notes.

as phill says above, those are the places. i put the known workaround for nVidia which has served me well on every test i've done [1]. i didn't post this in the PPCFAQ because it's documented in way more detail there.

i know there are other issues but as far as i know they're with Radeon. i have a Radeon machine i can run a live CD on but as it's borrowed i can't do an install on it so i'm afraid i can't help much here.

this being said, will everyone please post known issues and work arounds!!!! i've asked this before, but apparently i'm the only one who's gotten around to doing something.

wxl

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/PPC#no_desktop_with_nVidia_video_chip