From: Ron Mitchell <rm2892@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: December 19, 2012 10:48:41 PM PST
To: Devon Tourond <dtourond@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lubuntu- qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mitch99@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-qa] iMac G3 won't boot Lubuntu 12.10

Hi Devon

From looking at your Youtube clip, it looks like a fairly common problem. Trouble is, there's no one solution for all Macs (especially older Macs -non intel.)

Trying to decide if the solution that worked for me would work for you, and I'm not quite sure. I have an eMac G4 with a ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card.

What I do when I get to the

boot

is add a command
video=radeonfb:1024x768-32@60

However: Nearly as I can tell, your G3 has an ATI Rage 128 Pro Graphics Card. I'm hoping that somebody will see this reply and tell us if my command would work for you. Wouldn't want to see you damage your machine because of something I said.

There's a link to some fairly simple explanations about Lubuntu 12.10 known issues including video issues:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues#A12.10_Quantal_Quetzal

You might find something there.

Tell me. When you get to your blank screen, can you do a <cntl-alt- F1> to boot into a command line interface? Let me know. There's another method to fix the blank screen, and at least get you up and running. It's not the best of solutions, but it does work. You need to be at a command line before you can do it.

Let me know

Ron Mitchell
rm2892@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Devon Tourond <dtourond@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I recently tried installed Lubuntu 12.10 PowerPC (both Desktop and the alternative) on my iMac G3 (indigo). The installation went fine; there were no errors. When I boot it however, the splash screen shows up like so but after a couple seconds it disappears and nothing else happens. I've tried rebooting several times, re- installing it but nothing works. You'd think that if there was a problem it would say in the installer.

Here's the video I made of me trying to boot it up. Here you'll see exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMbXeLNuTU

When I booted into the CD before running the installer it said if there were any doubts to press the [TAB] key, which I did. Then I saw all these different options (if that's what they're called). Here's the photos of what I saw http://sdrv.ms/UO1fNJ