Re: Fwd: Changes in Ubuntu releases decided by the Ubuntu Technical Board

Just thinking out loud here so don't shoot me ;^)

So, as this effects only Lubuntu ATM;

11.10 reaches EOL April 2013

12.04 reaches EOL October 2013

12.10 reaches EOL April 2014

13.04 reaches EOL January 2014

So 12.10 is supported 3 months longer than 13.04. Then going forward;

13.10 reaches EOL July 2014

14.04 would be the next LTS so we might want to discuss the possibility of pursuing a 3 year (or 30 month) LTS at that time???

I maintain about 40 individual PC's 3/4 of which are using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and the other 1/4 are using Lubuntu 12.10 right now, so I'll personally probably skip upgrading them all to 13.04 right now.

I cc'ed Julien because I thought it wouldn't hurt to start a discussion regarding the possibility of an Lubuntu 14.04 LTS. Certainly not something we need to sort out immediately, but having used mostly Ubuntu LTS releases on most production machines since 8.04 I know it's kind of nice to wait until the first "point release" (eg: 12.04.1) before upgrading to the next LTS.

I would assume that the lions share of the security related updates during the life-cycle of an LTS are handled by Canonical, but I don't know that to be a fact, it's only an assumption.

OTOH since Lubuntu has gained official status my experience has been just as good as (actually better than) using Debian stable + LXDE, and I've discussed documenting a proper test-case for the Live CD upgrade option with Nicholas because I've largely found it to be a somewhat safer, and certainly faster way to upgrade than using the update manager.

Just thinking out loud,

Lance