b43 without internet

so i have a particular situation where it's not really convenient for me to do ethernet. unfortunately, i have a computer with a broadcom chip, which requires a proprietary non-free driver, which i can't install without the internet. there are instructions [1] for this but they had yet to work for me. however, i found another solution [2] that gave me some insight: the last step is to modprobe the driver by first removing incompatible drivers. however the wiki wasn't clear (fixed it) that this meant removing the driver you're trying to install. so there you go! if anyone's in a similar situation, get the broadcom firmware tarball and b43-fwcutter deb (or just get the linux-firmware-nonfree deb), and follow the instructions. sorry if everyone knew this, but that little omission of clarity on the wiki kept me from getting it right.

wxl

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx#b43_-_No_Internet_access
[2] http://askubuntu.com/questions/171427/wireless-isnt-working-in-12-04/171877#171877