Files and Folders going to desktop

Hi all, I have this thing going on on my wifes desktop. It happened when I
did a clean install, from Lubuntu12.04 to 12.10. This has never happen to
me before, so I thought I would ask.
The problem is, that when I tranzfered my backed up folders/files from my
usb stick, (like I do all the time) this time it made a copy not only on
the /home which is where I copied it to, but it also made copies in the
desktop. Now when I try to delete the desktop items it also deletes them in
the file manager.
Q: Is there a setting that might have gotten messed up and I need to change?
Any help is appreciated,
Thank you
Jose

Follow ups