Re: an iso for 'all' intel/amd computers

On 25/05/13 16:59, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Hi everybody,

I suggest that we try to make a Lubuntu iso file, that can boot in
'all' computers with intel/amd CPUs.

Why? I fail to see any benefit from this.

It used to be possible with 32-bit systems, but now there are more
and more UEFI systems, which need a 64-bit version to boot. Many of
them can be switched between UEFI and CSM, but some are locked to
UEFI. This limits the portability of live CD/USB drives and
persistent live USB drives, they work

- either 32-bits iso files for 'all' non-uefi systems - or 64-bits
iso files for 'all' 64-bit systems.

Which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

What would be needed to make a 32-bit system 'licensed' to run in
UEFI?

What makes you think you need anything licensed to boot with UEFI?

I tried recently with a grub2 and iso system in a USB pendrive. I
could boot it in my Toshiba with UEFI (with a complaint, but it
booted), but after booting into Windows, the 'grub2 and iso pendrive'
was no longer bootable. Maybe it was blacklisted by some UEFI
janitor, maybe something was overwritten. So I think such a generally
portable live system needs to be created in a professional way with
the licensing tools, that are used in the 64-bit iso files.

With out any error messages etc. this could be totally unrelated to UEFI.

I think an iso for 'all' intel/amd computers would be interesting
also for Xubuntu.

I'm willing to test it in low-end and high-end computers, but I
don't know how to create it.

Best regards Nio

--

Steve