Re: Linux Kernel and the Future of Lubuntu

On 13/06/13 13:20, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
Hi,

I always prefer to think and plan ahead and I'm sure you all agree
this is a good idea. "Better safe than sorry" :)

Having that said, I'm sure you all know that we are in 2013 and Linux
 Kernel starting from series 3.xx and later, started to drop the
support for some hardware. Day after day, the dropping will increase,
no doubt about it.

Why onlyworry about things been dropped from the kernel? Xorg has
dropped support for a few video drivers, as have AMD and nVidia.

DO NOT worry, I'm not trying to create any issue over here. In fact,
I'm trying to discuss this right here, right now because again,
better safe than sorry and better to think ahead better than wait
until something happens.

1- What will Lubuntu do (as a team - all of us) if after X
days/months/years, new releases of Lubuntu can no longer be installed
on the same hardware that version 13.04/13.10 will support?

Worry about it when it happens.

2- Are we considering each and every option? did we see that coming?
are we ready?

No, and no, and no.

3- Some may think this is too early to be discussed but IMHO, this is
 the right time so can we discuss that professionally?

Professionally? Sorry can't do that, I'm not paid for this. :D

And that is all for now :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020196/linux-3-8-will-drop-support-for-intel-386-chips.html

 And that won't be the one and only dropping, IMHO. They are moving
too fast, really fast!

I'm surprised they dropped it so quickly given Intel only stopped making
them five or six years ago.

--

Steve