Re: RAM needed for desktop installer reduced to half by zRAM

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013, at 11:49 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

>>> - Would it be possible to add the Ubiquity command to the Openbox
>>>   right-click menu? ...

>> If you are techie enough to play around like that, you are probably
>> techie enough to remember a command :)

> I was thinking, that people could be adviced to use that method: To
> log into the ultra-light Openbox session, and the more that is
> built into the system, the less must be described in the tutorial
> or wiki page.

> ... because this way it is possible to edit or wipe partitions and
> 'swapon' before ubiquity is started, which helps when there is very
> low RAM.

I'm currently thinking and hoping the official docs can basically say
there are exactly three recommended Lubuntu installation methods:

 (1) 384MB and up: use the desktop CD, select "Install Lubuntu"
     from the menu

(2) 256MB to 384MB: use the alternate CD

(3) 128MB to 256MB: Use the netboot mini.iso and select Lubuntu desktop
    at the software selection screen

The appropriate RAM size numbers for each one are what we want to find
out.

What we *don't* want is to have 8 different methods, several of them
long and complex and not suitable for newcomers.  That just makes
Lubuntu look "hard" and "for techies only".  All those other "clever"
methods can be documented somewhere on a wiki page, as things that are
unsupported but might work, for people who know what  they are doing and
have less than 256MB.

The same goes for workarounds for unsupported video chipsets, etc... we
document them, but on the wiki only and not in the main documentation
path we expect newcomers to use.  So that people who don't need those
details don't have to read them anyway and be put off Lubuntu by them.

Jonathan
--
  Jonathan Marsden
  jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx