[ Test Report 3 ] Minimum RAM required to install 'saucy-desktop-i386.iso' from LiveCD

*Note:
*
*I'm sending this for the 2nd time because I believe there is something
wrong with the firstt email. I think it did not pick the subject ... this
gmail web interface sometimes make me lose my mind. Anyway, just to make
sure this will go through, I'm sending it for the 2nd time. Sorry if you
already got it.*

Hi,

Few days ago, I have sent this test report:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004638.html

It has been agreed to re-do the same test using different approaches so
there you go:

*Differences from the previous test report (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004638.html):*

   1. HDD1: Seagate IDE 80GB has been disconnected - Power Cable
   disconnected and Data Cable Disconencted.
   2. HDD2: Samsung IDE 20GB is the the only working HDD and has been set
   to Master (was previously Slave).
   3. Installation Type: http://i40.tinypic.com/14jx9h4.jpg

*Note:*
Please note that, there are two different options when installing Lubuntu:

   - If Hard Disk is empty and there is no partitions at all:
   http://i40.tinypic.com/14jx9h4.jpg
   - If Hard Disk is NOT empty: http://i40.tinypic.com/2iazx2v.jpg

In my test, I have first wiped the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) before starting to
install :)

*If you are interested how I did that?*

   1. From "Try Lubuntu Without Installation, I used GParted to wipe the
   HDD - Create New Partition Table - after I set swap to off because GParted
   will not allow you to create new partition table while one of the
   partitions is mounted.
   2. Rebooted the machine and choose "Install Lubuntu".

*Information:*

   - Test for: saucy-desktop-i386.iso
   - Daily build: 17-June-2013
   - Media: LiveCD
   - Burned: using Xfburn at 10x Speed
   - Tested on: Real Hardware

*Machine Hardware Details:*

   - Desktop Computer
   - Intel Motherboard
   - CPU: Hyper Threading 64-bit Intel Pentium 4 @3.06GHz
   - Cache: L1: 16KB - L2: 1MB
   - RAM: DIMM DDR 200 MHz 512MB
   - Graphics: Radeon Xpress 200 Host Bridge (built-in)
   - HDD: Samsung IDE 20GB - *Wiped and has no partitons at all*
   - CD/DVD Drive
   - *From BIOS*: http://i44.tinypic.com/a4ug5s.jpg

*Test Case  242MB RAM*
*
*
*Information:*

   - RAM used by the OS: 242MB only -- Onboard Video Memroy Size = 256MB [
   http://i44.tinypic.com/a4ug5s.jpg]
   - HDD: Samsung 20GB IDE wiped with no partitions at all
   - Installation Media: LiveCD
   - LiveCD Booting Menu: Selecting 'Install Lubuntu' From the LiveCD Boot
   Menu
   - Installation Type: Erase Disk and Install Lubuntu.

*Notes:*

   - Installation Period (time): From Selecting 'Install Lubuntu' from the
   Boot Menu until the last reboot at the end of the installation process, the
   time period of this installation was *43* minutes.
   - The installation Process was *'very slow' *at the 7 steps of
   installation (9-10 mins), specially Installation Type Step, Where Are You
   Step, Who Are You Step (5 mins only on this step).
   - On the very same machine, I have done these tests (
   https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004638.html)
   using 'Something Else' installation Type and the installer was much faster
   on the 7 steps that required a human actions.
   - Despite the great slowness as described above, the installer never
   crashed during any step whatsoever - this is a one try test.

*Results:*

   - The installation has been done successfully - *100% PASS*
   - Time Rating: *LONG* - *40 - 45 minutes* from the very beginning
   (booting, menu, etc) to the very end (taking the LiveCD out and reboot).
   - Slowness Rating: *SLOW -VERT SLOW* - Something Else approach as per my
   Test Report 2 is Faster than 'Erase Disk and Install Lubuntu' approach on
   this test report.
   - zRAM Rating: *100% Helpful* - it was a very wise decision to add it.
   zRAM has made a great noticeable difference. In this very test, if zRAM
   wasn't enabled by default, 100% this test would have failed and crashed.

*My Recommendation:*

   - Overall Rating for this experience/test is *5/10*.
   - *I do recommend to set the limit of 256MB RAM as the Minimum RAM required
   to install Lubuntu 13.10 From the Desktop ISO using a LiveCD.*
   - My Test is done on 242MB RAM, not 256MB and IMHO, the 14MB difference
   could make a bit of improvement to the time (less than 40mins) but I *do
   NOT* recommend to set the Minimum RAM required to install Lubuntu 13.10
   to anything below 256MB. That should be the Red Line.
   - 256MB is NOT going to be the recommended option for New Users, but
   rather the Minimum. IMHO, we should mention clearly:

   1. *Minimum* RAM required to install Lubuntu 13.10 is 256MB
   2. *Recommended* RAM required to install Lubuntu 13.10 is 384MB - I will
   explain later why :)

*Conclusion/Summary*

   1. Lubuntu 13.10 can be installed 'successfully' on 256MB of RAM *(and a
   bit below but we are NOT going below 256MB)* from LiveCD without
   problems, without crashes, etc.
   2. 'Something Else' is FASTER than 'Erase Disk and Install Lubuntu' -
   See also:
   https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2013-June/004638.html
   3. *The Minimum *RAM Required to Install Lubuntu 13.10 from a LiveCD is
   256MB.
   4. *The Recommended* RAM to install Lubuntu 13.10 from a LiveCD is 384MB.
   5. Adding zRAM was very very very helpful and it was a very wise
   decision :)
   6. Test done according to the agreed standards that Lubuntu Team has
   discussed and agreed on which are described here:
   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/LowRamTesting#How_To_Test

*End of Test Report 3*

Thank you so much for reading this report :)

--

"All of us are smarter than any one of us."
*Best Regards,*