Re: Upcoming Virtualbox IRC classroom session (has a wiki page)

On 06/28/2013 05:03 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> AFAIK there is not ARM emulation?

There most definitely is ARM emulation in QEMU.  I used it years ago.
The question is whether there is armhf emulation.  There is, now, it was
added in 2012 I think.

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/qemu-system-arm

> And as for PPC, yes it works; but the issues are hardware (graphics
> cards) If you want to emulate PPC, then [1] has the details.

That's what I thought.  If Lars has different experience with QEMu PPC
emulation, it would be good to hear it.

> As and when ARM QEMU comes on-line, I'll be happy to look into it.

Its there now.

> IMHO, asking intel type based computers to emulate the hardware of
> non-intel type computers is a none starter, ...

IMO that needs a lot of qualification.  If the emulation is of the exact
hardware you are wanting to test for, it is fine.  Or if you need to get
a feel for the architecture before you have real hardware, it can be
useful.  For QA testing of installation ISOs... I'm not sure it is going
to be all that helpful.

Jonathan