Re: VIA P4M800 xorg bug

On 07/26/2013 08:26 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> On 2013-07-26 10:54, Erick Brunzell wrote:
>> This is actually in relation to my previous post about part of my test
>> suite being down and this bug:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/1203852
>>
>> As I've said there the kernel upgrade fixed things for most hardware but
>> not for the P4M800 graphics. I'll grant you that this hardware is
>> getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, maybe circa 2006 or 2007, but it still
>> works good with everything but full screen flash.
>>
>> So what happens? Either trying to boot the live image using "try" or
>> trying to boot after installation (this includes upgrading from either
>> Raring or updating from Alpha 1) results in a frozen progress bar (now
>> dots). So the "dots" are all just lit up but nothing else happens.
>>
>> If I hack out the "quiet splash" it freezes right here:
>>
>> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/145894508/P4M800_xfreeze.JPG
>>
>> Does anyone else see anything alarming there? I don't.
>>
>> I should point out that I've pretty much ruled out a kernel problem by
>> installing the Ubuntu Server daily as suggested by Jonathan .........
>> thanks for the suggestion ;^)
>>
>> Where I'm stuck ATM is trying to access a TTY from that frozen state so
>> I can file  a bug using "ubuntu-bug xorg". I suppose I could do it in a
>> chroot but I'd rather access the terminal while it's in that frozen state.
>>
>> Any ideas about how to access tty while it's in that frozen state are
>> welcome :^)
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Lance
>>
> I do suspect the graphics too.
>
> No I don't know to access tty while it's in that frozen state. It
> depends how frozen it is. But maybe you can try some tips.
>
> 1. My standard way to get another text screen is the hotkey combination
> ctrl + alt + F1 ... ctrl + alt + F6. It works even in the alternate
> installer if you want to 'look behind the curtain'. In the alternate
> installer the standard text menu is in 'ctrl + alt + F1', and an
> installation log is in 'ctrl + alt + F4' (I think, it is easy to check).
> In the desktop (live and installed), the graphic desktop environment is
> in 'ctrl + alt + F7'.
>
> 2. Read the log files, whatever is logged at this early stage. I must
> admit that I am bad log file reader myself, but I have seen a lot of
> advice about that at the Ubuntu Forums. So it might be worthwhile.
>
> 3. Try to boot with the boot option 'text'. Will that work? And then if
> you try 'startx' or 'sudo service lightdm start', what happens?
>
> 4. If you haven't tried it already, try the recovery mode.
>
> Good luck :-)
> Nio

Many thanks. The text boot parameter should work for me. I'm going to be
busy for a couple of days but if the bug still exists when I get back to
this I'll file a bug against xorg using this method:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs#Filing_bugs_at_Launchpad.net

Then I'll ask the xorg devs to set up "apport-collect" so I can gather
info using the tty offered by using the text boot parameter.

Lance