Re: Half of test suite still down due to Xorg bug

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:10:08 -0500
Erick Brunzell <lbsolost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/02/2013 02:56 AM, JM wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 02:24:57 -0500

> > however, Graphics are not related to DE, or to window managers, but depend on the
> > driver provided to work with Xorg.
>
> That's not entirely true. That VIA P4M800 chip has never worked with
> Compiz due to a lack of 3d rendering, so up through Precise Ubuntu would
> always fall back to using the Metacity WM. The same was true of GNOME 3
> until they dropped the fallback-session entirely. But Metacity is going
> to be maintained by Edubuntu for their LTSP installs.

3D: the driver does not provide 3D for this chipset. The Compiz window manager not being
supported is a consequence not a cause, as it depends on 3D to work.

(...)
> > It seems according to your report that only the progress bar is a problem to you. And
> > you can't start X from the recovery mode of course, it's an init mode which is too
> > low for that.
> >
> > If it is only the progress bar which bothers you: the progress bar does not matter.
> > You can hit a key before booting (it might be F6, look at the lower part of the
> > screen to check) and replace "quiet splash" in the kernel command line with
> > "noquiet" (leave the '--' at the end of the line) and you will have a text mode boot
> > instead. Or just ignore what the progress bar looks like and go do something else by
> > the time the system finishes the boot?

> One thing has changed between Alpha 2 and now. Rather than a frozen
> progress bar, I now boot the live image directly to a blank screen.
> Server installs seem to work OK, as does booting in "text" mode. I'll
> try the "noquiet" option rather than "text" and see what happens.

Ok, let's see how it goes.

> Oh, one thing I tried with Alpha 2 to help rule out a kernel problem was
> upgrading from Raring to Saucy and then booting the old Raring kernel
> which was still a no-go. Since it effects both the live image and
> installed images I believe I should be able to collect info if an Xorg
> dev tells me what to do, and what to look for.

I am not a dev, but if I can help with ideas where to look at:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
/var/log/dmesg (just after a boot, if you can access a tty, cd to /var/log and pastebin
the dmesg file to get a copy to a pastebin page on the web)

/var/log/syslog

All three can be pastebined if you have installed pastebinit (unless it is already in the
distro?)

Regards,
Mélodie

--