Fwd: usb-creator-gtk crashed with segfault

[continued at the end]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: usb-creator-gtk crashed with segfault
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:56:18 +0200
From: Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The soap opera about usb-creator-gtk never ends.

usb-creator-gtk created the live part of the installer, but crashed with
segfault and failed to create a casper-rw file.

I think it is Bug #915626

"usb-creator-gtk crashed with SIGSEGV in _dbus_watch_invalidate"

because the error output contains

'Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-(and a temporary file string)'

--------------
The pendrive made during the attempt described above did not boot at
all. I should add that I told usb-creator-gtk to 'erase the disk'.

I wiped the first megabyte (dd with zeros), used gparted to make a new
partition table and a partition with fat32. Then I tried usb-creator-gtk
again. I got the same or a similar segfault, but this time the casper-rw
file was created and the drive could boot. There is even persistence now.

Conclusion:

Erasing a USB pendrive with usb-creator-gtk is not enough to make it
work properly.

Wiping the first megabyte (dd with zeros) will make it stop and complain.

It is necessary to make a partition table. I made a partition and a file
system too, did not test the other alternatives.

So to increase the chances to succeed with usb-creator-gtk, I recommend
wiping the first megabyte and making a new msdos partition table,
partition and fat32 file system.

Comment:

usb-creator-gtk should be able to do all that by itself, when told to
'erase the disk'.