Re: Beta 1: Tweak for old Intel graphics

2013/9/3 Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The UXA tweak works in my Toshiba too,
>
> http://www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/
>
> with Intel i5 and built-in graphics
>
> Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if
> 00[VGA controller])
>
> Would it be safe to have it as default, or could the UXA tweak do any
> harm for some version of Intel graphics? Maybe the entry in
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> could be more specific, so that it will be used only for old Intel graphics?
>
> Best regards
> Nio
>
> On 2013-09-03 12:10, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> The following tweak still works to improve the colours in pictures and
>> video for Lubuntu Saucy Beta 1 in my IBM Thinkcentre.
>>
>> http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-51126
>>
>> *Change the Xorg acceleration method to UXA*
>>
>> John Hupp <lubuntu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There was this helpful bug report on file at
>> http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1178982.
>>
>> It described behavior on Dell PC's with integrated Intel graphics, in
>> which Adobe Flash Player would display only with shades of purple and
>> green in a horizontally compressed window (or at least that's how I
>> would describe what I see on a Dell Dimension 2400).
>>
>> The work-around (Comment #1) was to change the Xorg acceleration method
>> to UXA.
>>
>> User reported a work-around:
>>
>> -o-
>>
>> Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (ugh, can't format,
>> should be a tab before each line except the first and the last).
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>       Identifier "Intel Graphics"
>>       Driver "intel"
>>       Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Restart X (reboot, restart your display manager, whatever). Colors are
>> back to the way they used to be and flash works.
>>
>> -o-
>>
>> I forgot to include, however, that the bug workaround messes up the
>> login screen (LightDM).  You can make out an entry box that one assumes
>> is for the password entry, but everything else is largely unidentifiable.
>>
>> So as a workaround it leaves a lot to be desired, unless we can also
>> figure out how to fix the login screen.
>>
>> -o-
>>
>> Nio Wiklund wrote:
>>
>> This method works for me to restore good graphics in an old IBM
>> Thinkcentre with Lubuntu Saucy alpha-2 and the following Intel graphics.
>>
>> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics
>> Controller (rev 02)
>>
>> There is no issue with the login screen.

Works too on my old Dell C400 with a

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 04)

Good thing is I have no issues on login screen but I'm using
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf not /etc/X11/xorg.conf to store my
settings.
This configuration resolved (at least for me) a bug with
xserver-xorg-video-intel package too:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/1186800

F.