Re: Thunderbird can't write letters without restart

On 09/23/2013 12:47 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> On 2013-09-21 18:02, Lars Noodén wrote:> On 09/20/2013 09:57 AM, Nio
> Wiklund wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In my production machine I run Ubuntu with lubuntu-desktop
>>>
>>> After the update yesterday (Sept 19 2013). I have a problem with
> Thunderbird
>>>
>>> The window to write letters (or reply to letters) is borked.
>>> There is no cursor, and although it is focused, the active window
>>> is still the main Thunderbird window, so I can't write anything.
>>> This happens after running Thunderbird for a while, and I have to
>>> close and re-open Thunderbird to be able to write a letter
>>> again.
>>
>> I've been looking today and yesterday, leaving drafts open and
>> such, but am unable to reproduce the error you describe.  I've got
>> Thunderbird 24.0 also but on AMD64.
>>
>> Installed: 1:24.0+build1-0ubuntu1
>>
>> Regards, /Lars
>>
> Hi Lars,
>
> I get this problem frequently. Today it would not work after restart
> of the program. Not even after reboot of the system.
>
> What I tried to do is to 'Reply to all'. Then I tried many things,
> and found that I could start a normal original letter (no reply, no
> forward), and the cursor was active in its window. Then directly
> afterwards, I could start a 'Reply to all' window and the cursor was
> there and I could write the reply.
>
> But I need to restart Thunderbird to get a cursor in the editing
> window for a normal original letter.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1228002
>
> Best regards Nio

Have you tried with a new, clean profile?
I've had some different problems in the past, twice if I recall
correctly.  They were fixed by starting a new profile.  It was a bit of
a pain to export / import all the customizations but it worked.

Regards,
/Lars