Re: Thunderbird can't write letters without restart

Hi Lars,

See the tests I have done in the bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1228002

Next step:

I started to suspect the nvidia proprietary drivers. I tried another one
(the default current one as well as 173 and 304). The problem persisted.

'Solution':

Now I'm using the built in driver nouveau.

I have an nvidia graphics card: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT
430] (rev a1), and it has worked well since I bought it some year ago.
But now the nvidia proprietary drivers bork Thunderbird I managed to
write/reply ten letters in a row without issues, which has been far from
possible after the upgrade of Thunderbird Sept 19.

New problem:

But the solution for Thunderbird breaks the possibility to use VDPAU
with mplayer to play HD video (1080-50p) without issues. The computer,
an hp xw8400 workstation, is not powerful enough to manage it without
help of the graphics card and a proprietary driver.

There are also nvidia driver versions 310 and 319 in the repos. I might
try them later on, but I have little hope ...

-o-

But now that I write to you, the bug pops up its ugly face again, so
nouveau maybe improves the situation, but it does not solve it. (I had
to close the main Tbird window to get the cursor and write this letter).