Re: PPC Image size

On 2013-10-11 10:46, Jörn Schönyan wrote:
> The few .debs on the isos are just a few megabytes, the problem is the
> squashfs-compressed file system of Lubuntu itself.
>
> Jörn
>

> Am 11.10.2013 02:32, schrieb Jackson Doak:
>> Is there  a way to find what .deb files don't use .xz yet? If i could
>> find that list making all the programs compress more could work

What about that squashfs compression? Is it the most efficient one with
respect to size, or is it a compromise giving reasonable speed?

For example, if gzip compression is used for squashfs, xz would might
reduce the size ~20%. My experience is that xz is much slower
compressing, but only slightly slower expanding.

I guess this would be a big change, so not an option for 13.10, but
maybe for the next version, 14.04 LTS :-)

But squashfs might already use xz or some compression method with
similar performance. Please tell us if you know about that!