Re: [Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:59:08 +0400
"Ali Linx (amjjawad)" <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Julien Olivier <julo42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > the video idea is not so good for another reason: it would need to be
> > dubbed in all supported languages, and that's not very practical.

> Hi Julien,
>
> Thanks for your reply :)
>
> AFAIK, Ubuntu, and all the other official flavours, have their website in
> English Language and same goes to the Official Wiki Pages :)
> For the last 3 years, I have never seen an official website nor a Wiki Page
> in different Language

Hi,

The French speaking community has a very wide website with a wiki providing a very rich
documentation regularly updated by a team running a dedicated mailing list and an
IRC channel, a large forum, and a planet:
http://ubuntu-fr.org/

(providing information to people from about 250 countries where French is spoken)

> Examples:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Download:
http://ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME

Download the French Edition (built from the official version):
http://ubuntu-fr.org/telechargement?variante=ubuntufr#

> Just to be extra clear, my suggestion was plain and simple and it is up to
> the community to decide:

(…)

> I fail to see why we should do a video in all the languages? the websites
> and the wiki area all using English Language :)

For the simple reason that many users (from any country) just don't speak English at all.
Some of them speak a little English, let's say from 10 words to a few current sentences
and some who are a little better in English simply don't find it very comfortable to deal
with, be it written language or videos.

> Forget the video if you don't want to explain to the users how to install
> the system. But please, understand many users may really fail to install
> the system no matter how many HOWTOs are written on google.

This is why paid services do exist, as well as machines ready for use with the system. :)

> So far, I have never received any complaint about that. I mean, Ubuntu
> GNOME specific. Once my voice is back to normal, I am going to create a
> video for HOWTO Install Ubuntu GNOME. You will find it on my Channel if you
> are interested.

All additional contributions are a good thing, be they available for part of the people
or for all the people.
http://www.naute.com/inspiration/starfish.phtml

"Made a difference to THAT one!"  (^_^)

Regards,