Re: [Lubuntu-comms] People do not understand the desktop installer

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM, William <wjckc79@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, I think it's safe to say that so far having the initial selection
> warning followed by an impossible to misunderstand dialogue box that
> requires a check box confirmation is a solid plan. While I still think that
> the idea of have a youtube video is a good one: how, where, and when to
> implement it is highly problematic. If it is going to be presented along
> with or before the download link, it's presentation should be somewhat
> passive. We don't want to scare people off - otherwise they might have
> second thoughts and instead go use Fedora to accidentally wipe out Windows.
> Rather than including it before the download, I think a better option would
> be to automatically forward them to the video once the download has
> started. To keep everything simple, the page should located at
> install.ubuntugnome.org - or similar. Here is my reason for keeping the
> URL super simple: going back to the dialogue box, that itself should refer
> people to the video that they may have dismissed at download time. If your
> going to refer people to a URL that they have to remember, then it must be
> super simple, i.e. install.ubuntugnome.org - now the real problem: this
> page would have to present a selection of language options. Due to the
> nature of Linux, this is not insurmountable, but I don't know how practical
> it would be as an effort. Otherwise the page could simply explain things in
> greater detail then the installer for every language the video has yet to
> be translated into...? This is getting too complicated. Perhaps the video
> is a good idea in principle but a bad idea based on logistics alone.

Hello William,

Once this issue has been raised by my good friend Nio, I have immediately
updated Ubuntu GNOME Website and Ubuntu GNOME Download Wiki Page:

http://ubuntugnome.org/download/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME#Downloading_Ubuntu_GNOME_13.10

Now, if someone decided NOT to read the first note which is "please
backup..." then I am afraid if he/she will come and complain that Ubuntu
GNOME (or any flavour) has wiped my Data and it is Linux's Fault, I can
simply send him/her that link with the screenshot of the installer where it
says: "Warning (in red), ..."

The video (HOWTO Install) is JUST an extra step to go the extra miles (that
I always love to do).

So, from my side, I think I can assure you that Ubuntu GNOME has advised
its users to backup their data before even downloading the ISO :D

Best Regards,